But if believing is not enough, then what more is required of us? We must be obedient to God. Seek His will and do it. How do we find God’s will? The Holy Bible is the first reference point to knowing God’s will. The Holy Scriptures are His guide to our daily living. To know God’s will we need to know the Scriptures.
Jesus summarized the Scriptures and doing God’s will in two commandments:
"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
(Matthew 22:37-40 KJV)
All Scriptures are pointing us to these two commandments. How do we love God? We love God with everything that makes us human, our whole being. All that we feel, think, say or do should reflect our love for God. We must not hold anything back.
The second most important command is to love our neighbours as ourselves. Do you love God and yourself? Why then do we falter when it comes to loving our neighbour? We love ourselves lavishly. We:
- Want the best for ourselves
- Want all that is good
- Think well of ourselves
- Want to be treated with respect
- Are kind to ourselves
- Want to be showered with blessings
- Want the abundant life
- Require nothing negative
Who then is our neighbour? All people: our best friends, our spouses, thieves, politicians, our enemies, Muslims, Rastafarians, street people, children, adults, the disagreeable woman at the corner grocery, etc. They are all our neighbours and should be showered lavishly with our love. Jesus said His disciples would be known by their love. Can you be identified as a Christian by your love?
We may also learn God’s will through:
- Sermons. God speaks to us through his messengers.
- Quiet time. Our daily quiet time before God is important for refuelling and guidance.
- Prayers. We have a two-way conversation with God, speaking with Him and allowing Him to speak to our hearts.
- Devotions. Several of our senses are involved when we spend time singing praises to God, reading the Bible and praying, making the experience etched on our hearts, minds and souls.
- Worship Services. These services allow believers to assemble each week to fellowship with God and each other. Worship services are a three-way connection point for God and us.
- Other people. God sometimes speak to us through strangers, acquaintances or persons close to us.
Share your thoughts in the comments section below: Is believing all that God requires of His children?